Imaginary Maggie Knits!

The creator of LadyHawk Nutrition blogspot not only works, entertains, finds time for family and friends, and operates a thriving nutritional consultation office on weekends, but she's crafty too!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan, United States

***

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Kitty Pie

OK, so I knitted a throw pillow cover in chocolate brown wool with chocolate brown fun fur that I was going to stitch into an envelope shape and felt. It took me quite a while to knit, and every time I would pick it up my cat Pumpkin would eagerly leap in my lap and curl up on the portion that was already knitted. She just loved it, and usually “made biscuits” with her paws on it. She loved it like a surrogate mother.

After I was done knitting it I set it aside. I kept thinking that there should be some way I can make this pillow cover into a “Kitty Pie” or bed for Pumpkin. Much thought and discussion was had, but the problem was that it was almost 3 times longer than it was wide, and you couldn’t just stitch up the 4 corners and have it look right.

I had an epiphany this morning. I decided to lace one long edge and pull it tight so that it’s gathered, and then stitch up the two ends together from that point. The gathered edge is now in the middle of the bottom of the pie (with a hole in the middle) and it has a rather large lip going up all around the edge to make a circle. While I was stitching it up this morning, drinking tea and appreciating the sunrise, Pumpkin made herself at home on my lap on the part of the pie that didn’t need stitching.

I think she approves.

I have time to felt it tonight. Hope to have photos for you soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

Felting is so much fun! I can't wait to see pics!! :)

6/6/06 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home