Imaginary Maggie Knits!

The creator of LadyHawk Nutrition blogspot not only works, entertains, finds time for family and friends, and operates a thriving nutritional consultation office on weekends, but she's crafty too!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan, United States

***

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

State Yarn Fair

So a couple of weeks ago I’m having a beer with my DH at the golf course (don’t get any ideas, I don’t golf, I just like to eat and drink there) when I mention to an old friend that I’d like to go to this place in Allegan where the family raises their own sheep and spins the wool to sell to the public. Her reply was “Why go there when in a week and a half the Annual Michigan Fiber Arts Conference is being held at the Allegan Fiergrounds?” Now my friend has a degree in the fiber arts from Hope College so she knows about such things.

The next thing I know she is driving me to Allegan and we are walking through the barns, all filled with booth after booth of raw yarn, hand dyed yarn, bags of silk cocoons, spinning wheels, yarns sold by the ounce, angoras, alpaca, cottons, cashmeres, rugs, looms, tatting, paper making, hooks, needles, patterns, and plenty of paraphernalia.

There were three barns full, then more tents outside, and a 4th barn that Gail and I were simply too tired to go through.
















I bought stash. Gail made me buy the gold and aqua yarn, which I wanted 5 skeins to make a proper afghan or shrug, but at $29 each I stopped at 2.














The red is such an unusual color, not brick or coral, but a color I don’t have a word for in my vocabulary. I would love to use it as trim in a cardigan or something, but it’s going to be difficult to find just the right color to pair it with.















I thought I bought 2 skeins of the natural silk/linen, but when I got home I only found one. Not to worry, I only paid for one. But I wanted to make a pair of socks for Ronnie, and now they may have to be quite short socks.

With all this yarn I simply had to buy the ball winder, or whatever they call that thing. Ron is really very patient and good for holding the yarn while I wind it. Doncha love a man who is comfortable in his masculinity? Or maybe it has something to do with growing up with two older sisters.

There was a family (I assume) sitting under a shade tree outside of the last barn. Some were knitting, some were chatting, some were eating, and then there was the lovely woman spinning wool on her spinning wheel. Loved it!

2 Comments:

Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

I got some fantastic Fiesta yarn when I was in Albuquerque last time. I love the stuff. The colors you chose are fantastic!

22/8/06 1:38 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Those are all such beautiful yarns!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue and bronze.

22/8/06 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home