Imaginary Maggie Knits!

The creator of LadyHawk Nutrition blogspot not only works, entertains, finds time for family and friends, and operates a thriving nutritional consultation office on weekends, but she's crafty too!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan, United States

***

Friday, October 26, 2007

The Meandering Vacation: Chapter 3

I am one of those people who fade every night around 10:00. I struggle each night to stay awake until the 11:00 news but I usually fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV long before then. I wake up around 6:30 – 7:00 weekday or weekend, and I think it’s strange that I struggle to get out of bed on weekdays, but I jump out of bed bright and early on Saturday and Sunday because I look forward to “lap time” with the cats and watching BBC America. I do my best writing in the morning, and if I read I retain the most at that time of day. Don’t worry, I’m not one of those chipper happy morning people. I just have my most clear minded moments at that time of day.

Not so much with Ron, who loves to stay up to watch Jay Leno and loves to sleep late on the weekend.

Sunday morning finally came and as usual I was up early, start watching “How clean is your house?” on BBC America, drinking citrus flavored green tea with a cat on my lap and a stack of knitting books and magazines on the floor beside me. I had decided to start my 2nd ever sweater and although I didn’t have a pattern I surely had a tone of mercerized cotton yarn that I bought with my friend Cheryl at a going-out-of-business sale for about $25. Woo Hoo! I love a bargain. I picked a pattern out of last springs’ Interweave Knit magazine, packed all the yarn and all my needles and my little help book into my bag and I was officially ready for a little “Vacay”.

Ron got up slowly, drank coffee, we showered (we like to shower together and we even have a 6 foot long shower with 3 (yes 3!) shower heads each with their own temperature control because we don’t all like the same temperature. Call me spoiled.) I cooked eggs and toast for breakfast, and we left the house at the crack of 11:00. Heh.

We went directly to Bill and Cheryl’s barn warming party, and their barn was really more like a 3 stall garage. There is a double garage door on one side for his and her vehicles and another single stall door on the other side for Bill’s fishing boat. There was plenty of room on the other side of the cars and the boat to store tools and other manly barn implements, and lots of electrical sockets to plug all the tools into. And the coffee maker, because Bill planned on spending many a morning out there totting around drinking coffee and listening to the radio. I was so impressed with it also because although their house isn’t new, the garage had matching siding, roof shingles, and trim. It matched their house so very nicely! Ron brought a growler of his most recent foray into beer making, which was a Stout I think, and everyone who had the kahuna’s to try it liked it. Bill even had seconds, which was good, because I didn’t really want Ron to drink a 3rd glass before driving to Kentucky.

We left the party at the crack of… 1:00? Oh boy. And drove a whole 18 miles before stopping at a gas station to pick up beef jerky and chips for the road. We could only laugh. We headed south about another hour before Ron spied a Harley Davidson dealership out in the middle of a cornfield in Indiana and just HAD to stop to buy a T-shirt. I’m kinda glad he did because I had to go to the bathroom already. Blame it on the beer. He bought his T-shirt and a H-D shirt and pants for our grandson Connor and off we went. Again.

We ate lunch at a Steak and Shake where, when I went to the bathroom (blame it on the iced tea) there were two waitresses who also were in there and neither of them washed their hands. They didn’t even pretend to; just preening themselves in the mirror on the way out the door. Icky!

Ron decided that he would drive as far as Elizabethtown, Kentucky that day, because you know we had just watched that movie with Orlando Bloom and all. I pulled out the laptop and tried out my new Sprint internet card which worked in the middle of nowhere Indiana! I was thrilled! And I was thrilled again when I found the Elizabethtown chamber of commerce website which should be a pattern used by all cities’ websites because it was so easy to use. It had links to dozens of hotels with their average rates listed on them, as well as links to all the restaurants, stores, historic sites and attractions.

Overall Elizabethtown was a very nice town, and our first day of vacation was just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home